U.S. rejects Beijing’s claims in S. China Sea
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – International Affairs
- United States said China’s claims to offshore resources across most of the South China Sea are completely unlawful.
- South China Sea has rich source of valuable oil and gas deposits and is a vital waterway for the world’s commerce.
- US also said that it would stand with the international community in defence of freedom of the seas and respect for sovereignty and reject any claims in South China Sea.
Do you know?
- China claims most of the South China Sea through a so-called nine-dash line, a vague delineation based on maps from the 1940s.
- US rejected claims of China in the waters surrounding Vanguard Bank off Vietnam, Lucania Shoals off Malaysia, waters considered in Brunei’s exclusive economic zone and Natuna Besar off Indonesia.
- US also rejected China’s southernmost claim of Malaysian-administered James Shoal, which is 1,800 km (1,150 miles) from the Chinese mainland.