Boundary Working Group: India-Nepal
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, it has been reported that Nepal has proposed a meeting of the Boundary Working Group (BWG) in August end or early September 2020.
Important value additions
Boundary Working Group (BWG)
- It is a joint agency constituted by the governments of India and Nepal in 2014.
- Objective: To carry out works in the fields of construction, restoration and repair of boundary pillars including clearance of ‘no-man’s land’ and other technical tasks.
- Led by: The Surveyor General of India.
- The BWG is different from the foreign secretaries meeting that is being sought to discuss the Kalapani border dispute.
- It is an important mechanism to review the boundary work.
- The BWG’s inputs are critical as they are given to the governments on the basis of field-level survey.