Core sector output shrank further
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – Economics – Growth and Development
- The output of eight core sector industries shrank further.
- Economists expect the negative trend to continue for at least two more months.
- During April-June 202021, the sector’s output dipped by 24.6% as compared to a positive growth of 3.4% in the same period previous year.
Do you know?
- Of the eight core sectors, the fertilizer industry was the only one which saw actual growth.
- It reflects the positive outlook in the agriculture sector where a normal monsoon is leading to expectations of a bumper kharif crop.
- The remaining industries showed contraction, with the steel sector continuing to remain the worst performer.
Pic: The Hindu