Development of Synthetic Flavonoids
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Science and Technology; Achievements of Indians in Science and Technology
- Recently, scientists from Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Pune have found the first synthetic route for producing flavonoids molecules related to the treatment of tuberculosis and chikungunya.
- It is for the first time that the flavonoid molecules such as rugosa flavonoids, podocare flavone and isoflavone have been synthesised in a lab.
- These three molecules have so far been isolated from plants only.
Important value additions
- These are part of the polyphenol class of phytonutrients (plant chemicals) found in almost all fruits and vegetables.
- They are responsible for organic pigments and the vivid colours in fruits and vegetables.
- These are powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory and immune system benefits.
- A diet rich in flavonoids can protect from diseases related to heart, liver, kidney, brain and other infectious diseases.