Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II Governanace
Context: PMO denies RTI plea seeking info on PMCARES
PM-CARES Fund was set to accept donations and provide relief during the Covid-19 pandemic, and other similar emergencies.
- PM-CARES was set up as a public charitable trust with the trust deed registered on March 27, 2020.
- It can avail donations from the foreign contribution and donations to fund can also avail 100% tax exemption.
- PM-CARES is different from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF).
- Prime Minister as chairperson
- Defence Minister, Home Minister, Finance Minister
- Three trustees nominated by the Prime Minister “who shall be eminent persons in the field of research, health, science, social work, law, public administration and philanthropy”.
- Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF)
Important value additions:
PM-CARES Not a Public Authority: It has been stated that the PM-CARES Fund is not a Public Authority under the ambit of Section 2(h) of the RTI Act, 2005.