Submarine cable connectivity to Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II and III – Govt policies and initiatives; Infrastructure;
- PM launched submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) which connects Andaman & Nicobar Islands to the mainland.
- The project will lay 2300 Kms submarine cable, connects major chunk of the islands from Chennai to Port Blair, Port Blair to Little Andaman and Port Blair to Swaraj Island.
- The connectivity would now enable endless opportunities in the islands
- Provide modern facilities to every citizen and every sector
- Ease of living to improve
- Speedy development of national security
- Cheaper & better connectivity
- Enjoy all benefits of Digital India – improving online education, tele-medicine, banking system, online trading and in boosting tourism
- Would boost Act-East policy and India’s Economic-Strategic Cooperation
Map activity –
- Locate important places – Car Nicobar; Campbell – Bay; Port Blair; Swaraj Island; Swaraj Dweep, Shaheed Dweep and Long Island etc.
Apart from providing for better internet & mobile connectivity, efforts are being made to improve physical connectivity through road, air and water.
- Enhancing capacity of Port Blair Airport
- Water Aerodrome Infrastructure
- 4 Ships being built at Kochi Shipyard to improve the Water connectivity
- Port Led Development
- Speedy construction of the deep draft inner harbor and the proposal to construct TransShipment Port in Great Nicobar
- Development of modern infrastructure to accelerate blue economy like Fisheries, Aquaculture and SeaWeed farming