UK to Issue Coin in Honour of Mahatma Gandhi
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains I – History
- Britain is considering minting a coin to commemorate Mahatma Gandhi.
- The consideration is seen as part of efforts to celebrate achievements of people from the Black, Asian and other Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities.
- As part of a global reassessment of history, colonialism and racism triggered by the death in May of a Black man, George Floyd, in the United States, some British institutions have begun re-examining their past
Do You Know?
- Gandhiji’s birthday, October 2, is observed as the International Day of Non-Violence.
- Black Lives Matter Protest is a movement in USA, against systemic violence meted out to the African American community