17th India-Vietnam Meeting held
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, the 17th meeting of India-Vietnam Joint Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation was held.
- Recent developments in India-Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (since 2016) were reviewed.
- Both countries agreed to enhance their bilateral cooperation in line with India’s Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI).
- Both sides agreed to coordinate closely at multilateral and regional forums like the UN Security Council (UNSC) and ASEAN.
- They agreed to explore closer cooperation in emerging areas such as civil nuclear energy, space, marine sciences and new technologies.
- India also invited Vietnam to take advantage of India’s new economic capacities and demands
Important value additions
Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI)
- Launched by: Indian Prime Minister at the East Asia Summit (2019).
- Focus: Maritime Security, Maritime Ecology, Maritime Resources, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management, Maritime Transport, etc.
Do you know?
- Both India and Vietnam will serve concurrently as non-permanent members of UNSC in 2021.
Image source: Click here