Chendamangalam Saree: Kerala
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Intellectual Property Rights
- The Care 4 Chendamangalam (C4C) initiative is supporting the 2018 Kerala flood-affected weavers.
Important value additions
Kerala Kasavu Sarees
- It refers to the zari (gold thread) used in the border of the Kerala saree.
- The identity of the saree comes from the geographical cluster they are associated with.
- The Indian government has identified three clusters in Kerala – Balaramapuram, Chendamangalam and Kuthampully – that have been given a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- It is recognisable by its puliyilakara border, a thin black line that runs side by side with the sari’s selvedge.
- It has extra-weft chuttikara and stripes and checks of varying width.