Coal India Ltd. (CIL) to invest in 500 coal-related projects
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure: Energy
- Coal India Ltd (CIL) will invest over 1.22 lakh crore rupees on development of nearly 500 projects.
- Projects will be related to coal evacuation, infrastructure, project development, exploration and clean coal technologies in India.
- The investment aims at making India self-reliant in terms of coal and at achieving the production target of 1 billion tonnes by 2023-2024.
- The investment will be in two phases for 49 First Mile Connectivity projects.
- First Mile Connectivity is the transportation of coal from pitheads to dispatch points.
- Computer-aided loading technology of coal is being developed to replace the existing methodology of transportation via road.
- CIL has also identified 15 Greenfield projects which will be operated under the Mine Developer and Operator (MDO) model.
- It also announced measures for relaxations and exemptions for greater participation of its stakeholders.
- The experience criteria is reduced from 65% to 50% for mining tenders.
- Work experience criteria are relaxed by 50%.