Direct Cargo Ferry Service Between India & Maldives launched
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Direct cargo ferry service between India and Maldives was recently e-launched.
- Ministry: Indian Ministry of Shipping and Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation of Maldives
- Operated by: The Shipping Corporation of India
- During its maiden voyage, a vessel from Tuticorin to Kochi on September 21, 2020, from where it will proceed to Kulhudhuffushi port in North Maldives and then to Male port.
- This ferry service shall run twice a month.
- It will provide a cost effective direct and alternate means of transportation of goods between India and Maldives.
- It will further enhance people-to-people contact and boost bilateral trade.