Epidemic Diseases (Amendment) Bill, 2020 passed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- Parliament passed the Epidemic Diseases (Amendment) Bill, 2020 recently.
- The bill amends the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897.
- The bill repeals the Epidemic Diseases (Amendment) Ordinance that was promulgated in April this year.
- It shall include protections for health care service personnel combating epidemic diseases.
- It expands the powers of the Central Government to prevent the spread of such diseases.
- The legislation makes harm, injury, hurt or danger to the life of health care service personnel as a cognizable and non-bailable offence.
- It has provisions of imprisonment from 3 months to 5 years and a fine between Rs. 50,000 to 2 lakh rupees.
- Persons convicted of offences under the bill will also be liable to pay compensation to the health care service personnel whom they have hurt.