Gilgit-Baltistan to Become a Pakistani Province (Map-based)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, Pakistan has decided to elevate Gilgit-Baltistan’s status to that of a full-fledged province.
- Gilgit-Baltistan is one of the disputed territories of India.
- Gilgit-Baltistan is an autonomous region now and with this elevation, it will become the 5th province of the country.
- Currently, Pakistan has four provinces – Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, and Sindh.
- This elevation will lead to adequate representation from the province on all constitutional bodies, including the National Assembly and the Senate.
- The Government will also start working on the Moqpondass Special Economic Zone (SEZ) under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
- India has held that the Government of Pakistan or its judiciary has no locus standi on territories illegally and forcibly occupied by it.