Global Innovation Index 2020 released
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Innovation
- Global Innovation Index (GII) 2020 was recently released.
- Released by: World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- India’s rank: 48th
- India has climbed 4 spots.
- With this, India ranked in the top 50 countries for the first time in the Global Innovation Index.
- World’s most-innovative economies: (1) Switzerland, (2) Sweden, (3) USA, (4) UK and (5) Netherlands.
- India ranks in the top 15 in indicators such as ICT services exports, government online services, graduates in science and engineering and R&D-intensive global companies.
- India is the lower middle-income economy with the highest innovation due to universities like IIT Delhi and Bombay, IIS Bengaluru and other top scientific publications.
Do you know?
- India was at the 52nd position in 2019 and was ranked 81st in the year 2015.
- The WIPO had also accepted India as one of the leading innovation achievers of 2019 in the central and southern Asian region.
- The 2020 edition of the GII presents the annual innovation ranking of 131 economies.
- Its 80 indicators explore a broad vision of innovation, including political environment, education, infrastructure and business sophistication.
- The theme of GII, 2020 – Who Will Finance Innovation?