India-Sri Lanka Virtual Bilateral Summit held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, Indian Prime Minister and Sri Lankan PM held the first-ever India-Sri Lanka Virtual Bilateral Summit.
- A grant assistance of 15 million dollars shall be provided to Sri Lanka.
- The grant will assist in deepening people-to-people linkages between the two countries in the sphere of Buddhism.
- They agreed that the Indian side would facilitate the visit of a delegation of Buddhist pilgrims from Sri Lanka in the first inaugural flight to Kushinagar.
- Both sides also agreed to explore opportunities in the areas of Ayurveda and Yoga.
- India and Sri Lanka have reached an understanding to extend the MoU on High Impact Community Development Projects for a five-year period beginning 2020.
- Both leaders agreed to continue the successful Indian housing project and gave instructions to the relevant officials to fast-track the construction of 10,000 houses in the plantation sector.
- Implementation of the 13th Amendment to the Sri Lankan Constitution was also emphasised as it is essential for carrying forward the process of peace and reconciliation and realizing the expectations of Tamils for equality.
Do you know?
- Kushinagar Airport was designated as an international airport recently recognizing its importance as a Buddhist site.