Indo-China Defence Ministerial Meet held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Global Groupings; International Relations
- The Indo-China Defence Minister level meet recently took place on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ meeting in Moscow, Russia.
- India stressed upon a peaceful, stable and secure region of SCO member states.
- India also expressed concern at the security situation in Afghanistan
- India called upon the Gulf countries to resolve differences between them by “dialogue based on mutual respect.
- India unequivocally condemned terrorism in all forms and manifestations.
- It also asserted the need to build institutional capacity to deal with both traditional and non-traditional threats.
Important value additions
Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- Formation: 2001
- Type: Mutual security, political, economic organisation
- Headquarters: Beijing, China.
- It is a major Eurasian organization that represents half of the world’s population.
- It is a permanent intergovernmental international organisation.
- India joined SCO in 2017.
- The organisation has two permanent bodies — the SCO Secretariat (Beijing, China) and the Executive Committee of the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) (Tashkent, Uzbekistan).
- Significance: It has the capacity to counterbalance the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.