Indo-Pacific Trilateral Dialogue held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, India, Australia and France held a dialogue for the first time under a trilateral framework.
- The three sides have agreed to hold the dialogue on an annual basis.
- Focus: Enhancing cooperation in the Indo-Pacific Region.
- India also has logistics agreements with both countries which provide for easier access to supplies of goods and services.
- The trilateral cooperation will help to take on China’s aggressive behaviour in the Indo-Pacific region. E.g in South China Sea.
- It is an addition to the Quad which comprises the USA, Japan, Australia and India.
- Possibility of enhancing maritime security cooperation between the three countries.
- Cooperation on marine global commons shall also take place. It includes blue economy, marine biodiversity and environmental challenges such as marine pollution.
Important value additions
Significance of the Indo-Pacific Region
- It is a very rich region in terms of natural resources (fisheries, oil, and gas) as well as mineral resources.
- Trade of some of the major economies like China, Japan, Korea or the west coast of the United States goes through this region.
- About 50% of India’s trade is conducted through the South China Sea.
- India has been one of the major players in the region.
- India conducts many naval exercises with the United States, countries of ASEAN, Japan, Korea and Vietnam.
- The international community including India wants freedom of navigation, freedom of over flights in the region.