International Day to protect Education from attack launched
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Education
- The first-ever International Day to Protect Education from Attack is being celebrated on September 9, 2020.
- Theme: “Protect Education, Save a Generation.”
- The day was established by a unanimous decision of the UN General Assembly.
- UNESCO and UNICEF were called on to raise awareness of the plight of millions of children living in countries affected by conflict.
- According to the Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack (GCPEA), over the past five years, there have been more than 11,000 reported attacks on education in over 36 countries.
- 22,000 students, teachers and academics were killed, injured, arrested or otherwise harmed in attacks between 2015 and 2019.
- UNESCO and UNICEF will facilitate the annual observance of the Day in close collaboration with partners within and outside the UN system.