National Medical Commission (NMC) constituted
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- The National Medical Commission (NMC), along with four Autonomous Boards was recently constituted.
- The old institution of the Medical Council of India (MCI) stands abolished.
- Along with NMC, the four Autonomous Boards of UG and PG Medical Education Boards, Medical Assessment and Rating Board, and Ethics and Medical Registration Board have also been constituted.
- The Regulator is now ‘selected’ on merits, as opposed to an ‘elected’ Regulator.
- Dr S C Sharma (retd. Prof, ENT, AIIMS, Delhi) has been selected as the Chairperson for a period of three years.
- Besides the Chairperson, NMC will have 10 ex-officio members.