New rules for administration notified in the Union Territory of J&K
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Polity & Governance
- New rules for administration were recently notified in the Union Territory of J&K.
- Ministry: The Union Home Ministry.
- The new rules specify the functions of the Lieutenant-Governor (L-G) and the Council of Ministers (CoM).
Image source: Click here
- Police, public order, All India Services and anti-corruption will fall under the executive functions of the L-G.
- The CM or CoM will have no say in their functioning.
- Matters which affect the interest of any minority community shall essentially be submitted to the L-G after intimating the CM.
- The CoM, led by the CM, will decide service matters of non-All India Services officers, proposal to impose new tax, land revenue, reconstituting departments or offices and draft legislation.
- However, in case of difference of opinion between the L-G and a Minister, when no agreement could be reached even after a month, the decision of the L-G shall be deemed to have been accepted by the CoM.