No Confidence Resolution against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Parliament; Executive
- Rajya Sabha members of 12 opposition parties moved a no-confidence resolution against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman over the passage of two controversial farm Bills by the voice vote.
Important value additions
Relevant Rules of Procedures and Conduct of Business
- Rule 256, Suspension of member: This is decided by the presiding officer of the house on the grounds like a member disregarding the authority of the Chair or abusing the rules of the Council.
- Rule 258 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Rajya Sabha makes a provision to enable a member to raise a point of order.
- Point of order: An objection to the pending matter or proceeding which is in violation of a written and unwritten rule of the House.
Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
- The Deputy Chairman is elected by the Rajya Sabha itself from amongst its members.
- The post of the Deputy Chairman is not subordinate to the Chairman.
- He performs the duties of the Chairman’s office when: (1) It is vacant; (2) When the Vice-President acts as President; (3) When the Chairman is absent from the sitting of the House.
- While presiding over the House, he cannot vote in the first instance; he can only exercise a casting vote in the case of a tie.
- Article 90: Deals with the removal of the Deputy Chairman