Science & Technology Indicators, 2019-20
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – IPR; Science & Technology
- According to the latest Science & Technology Indicators (STI) report for 2019-20, India performs very dismally in the field science & technology innovation.
- Released by: Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- In these 13 years, just 24% of patent claims came from Indians.
Reasons for Dismal Performance
- Poor investment in research and development (R&D)
- The poor state of higher education.
- Lack of employable personnel, who lack skills and the aptitude in a variety of fields.
- Lack of conducive environment for start-ups.