Turkey- Russia Military Drill in Eastern Mediterranean announced
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- International Relations
- Recently, Turkey has announced that Russia will hold live-fire naval exercises in the eastern Mediterranean.
- Already there has been escalating tensions between Turkey and its coastal neighbors Greece and Cyprus over the rights to search for energy resources in the region.
- Turkey and Russia will also coordinate closely on their military presence in Syria.
- Turkey has also purchased Russia’s advanced S-400 missiles and has agreed to go with a Russian-built nuclear power plant on its southern coast.
Do you know?
- Russian exercises will take place during September 8-22 and September 17-25.
- Turkish seismic research vessels are already operating in the Mediterranean region.
- Recently, the U.S. had said that it was partially lifting a 33-year-old arms embargo against ethnically divided Cyprus.
Image source: Click here