USA-Maldives Framework on Defence and Security Relationship signed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, a Framework on Defence and Security Relationship has been signed between the USA and the Maldives.
- The move is seen as consistent with the growing alignment of the USA and Indian interests in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) and Indo-Pacific.
- Objective: To deepen engagement and cooperation in support of maintaining peace and security in the Indian Ocean.
- Both countries agreed to reiterate their commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific that promotes the security and prosperity of all nations in the region.
- The Framework outlines a range of bilateral activities – senior-level dialogues, engagements etc. in areas such as maritime domain awareness, natural disasters and humanitarian relief operations.