Atal Tunnel inaugurated
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Geography
- Indian Prime Minister recently inaugurated the World’s longest Highway tunnel – Atal Tunnel.
- Location: Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh
- Constructed by: Border Roads Organisation (BRO)
- The 9.02 Km long tunnel connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley throughout the year.
- Earlier the valley was cut off for about 6 months each year owing to heavy snowfall.
- The tunnel reduces the road distance by 46 Kms between Manali and Leh and the time by about 4 to 5 hours.
- It will provide all weather connectivity to remote border areas of Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh.
- It would also reduce the distance between Manali and Keylong by 3-4 hours.
- Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee laid the foundation of the approach road for this tunnel in 2002.