China objects to official exchanges between India and Taiwan
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, China objected to any official exchanges between India and Taiwan.
- China also objected to India wishing Taiwan “Happy National Day” (October 10) and referring to it as a country.
- China is also opposing inclusion of Australia in the upcoming Malabar naval exercise.
Important value additions
Taiwan – the Republic of China (ROC)
- It is an island off the southern coast of China that has been governed independently from mainland China since 1949.
- It is not a member of the United Nations and is the largest economy outside the UN.
- China views it as a province only.
- It has its own democratically elected government