Dam Rehabilitation And Improvement Project (DRIP) approved
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP) Phase II & Phase III with the financial assistance of the World Bank (WB) and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Objective: To improve the safety and operational performance of selected dams across the whole country, along with institutional strengthening.
- The Scheme envisions comprehensive rehabilitation of 736 existing dams located across India.
- The Project will be implemented over a period of 10 years duration in two Phases.
- DRIP Phase II & Phase III has following components: (1) Rehabilitation and improvement of dams and associated appurtenances; (2) Dam safety institutional strengthening in participating States and Central agencies; (3) Exploration of alternative incidental means to generate the incidental revenue for sustainable operation and maintenance of dams; (4) Project management.