Government working on the formation of Integrated Theatre Command
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence; Security
- The government is working on the formation of integrated theatre commands after the appointment of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
- An integrated theatre command envisions a unified command of the three Services, under a single commander, for geographical theatres (areas) that are of strategic and security concern.
- Such a commander will be able to bear all resources at his disposal with greater efficiency.
- The commander will not be answerable to individual Services.
- Integration of the three forces will also avoid duplication of resources.
- The integration will strengthen cohesion in the defence establishment.
Do you know?
- The Shekatkar committee has recommended the creation of 3 integrated theatre commands — northern for the China border, western for the Pakistan border, and southern for the maritime role.