High Powered Committee alleges violations in Chardham road project
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Geography
- The chairman of a Supreme Court-appointed expert committee has alleged violations of the court orders in the execution of the Chardham road project.
- It is a 900 km, ₹12,000 crore enterprise to connect pilgrimage spots in Uttarakhand.
Important value additions
Chardham Yatra of Uttarakhand
- In the great Himalayas in Uttarakhand, the four pilgrim-destinations namely Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath are collectively known as Chardham.
- Traditionally, this pilgrimage tour should begin from the West and end in the East. Thus, the Char Dham Yatra commences from Yamunotri, then proceeds to Gangotri and finally to Kedarnath and Badrinath.
- The MoRTH is the key coordinator of the Chardham project.
- Ravi Chopra is the chairman of the High Powered Committee (HPC).