Historic ceasefire announced in LIBYA
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Rival parties in Libya announced a historic ceasefire followed by five days of the 5+5 Libyan Joint Military Commission (JMC) talks in Geneva.
- This gives way to the possibility that the long-drawn conflict might be coming to an end.
New Ceasefire Agreement
- As per this new agreement facilitated by the UN, all foreign mercenaries and armed forces will have to withdraw within the next 90 days.
- The parties also agreed that any violations in the ceasefire will be dealt by a joint military force, which will be under a unified command.
- The agreement has also established a Joint Police Operations room that will implement and propose special arrangements to secure the areas that are cleared of military units and armed groups.
- Further, the 5+5 have also agreed to open the land and air routes that connect the regions and cities of Libya.