Ministry for Shipping e-launches the development of Indigenous Software solution for VTS/ VTMS
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure; Science and Technology
- Recently, the development of Indigenous Software solution for Vessel traffic services (VTS) and Vessels Traffic Monitoring Systems (VTMS) was launched.
- Launched by: Ministry for Shipping
- The Shipping has sanctioned an amount of Rs. 10 Crore to IIT, Chennai for development of indigenous VTS software.
- VTS and VTMS are software which determine vessel positions, position of other traffic or meteorological hazard warnings and extensive management of traffic within a port or waterway.
- Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) contribute to safety of life at sea, safety and efficiency of navigation and protection of the marine environment.
- VTMS is mandatory under IMO Convention SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea).
- The VTMS traffic image is compiled and collected by means of advanced sensors such as radar, AIS, direction finding, CCTV and VHF or other co-operative systems and services.
Do you know?
- A modern VTMS integrates all of the information into a single operator working environment for ease of use and in order to allow for effective traffic organization and communication.
- Implementation of National Maritime Domain Awareness programme of Indian Navy shall become feasible with Indian VTS software at low cost.