North Korea warns its citizens of Yellow Dust
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations; Health & GS-III – Environment
- North Korea has urged its citizens to remain indoors to avoid contact with a mysterious cloud of ‘yellow dust’ which is blowing in from China.
- This cloud could bring Covid-19 with it.
Important value additions
- It is also known as yellow dust, yellow sand, yellow wind or China dust storms.
- It is actually sand from deserts in China and Mongolia that high speed surface winds carry into both North and South Korea during specific periods every year.
- The sand particles tend to mix with other toxic substances such as industrial pollutants.
- Thus, it is known to cause a number of respiratory ailments.