Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science & Technology
- Recently, Kolkata-born physicist Amal Kumar Raychaudhuri was in news when British physicist Dr Roger Penrose was awarded half the Nobel Prize in Physics 2020 for his work on black holes.
- The Raychaudhuri Equation in General Relativity was derived by Raychaudhuri.
- It is a fundamental result in general relativity which describes how nearby bits of matter move.
- The Equation was discovered independently by Raychaudhuri and Soviet physicist Lev Landau as a simple, general validation of the expectation that gravitation is a universal force that attracts objects with mass and energy (and Newton’s theory of gravitation).
- The Raychaudhuri Equation continues to be a key tool in investigating the behaviour of black hole horizons in modern physics.