Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Sci & Tech
- The accused in Hathras rape case will undergo brain fingerprinting.
- Brain Electrical Oscillation Signature Profiling (BEOSP) is also known as brain fingerprinting.
- It is a neuro psychological method of interrogation in which the accused’s participation in the crime is investigated by studying their brain’s response.
- The BEOSP test is carried out via a process known as electroencephalogram, conducted to study the electrical behaviour of the human brain.
- Under this test, the consent of the accused is first taken and they are then made to wear caps with dozens of electrodes attached to them.
- The accused are then shown visuals or played audio clips related to the crime to check if there is any triggering of neurons in their brains which then generate brainwaves.
- The test results are then studied to determine the participation of the accused in a crime.