China’s Railway work Near Arunachal Border
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- China has begun work on a strategically significant railway line.
- It will link Sichuan province with Nyingchi in Tibet, which lies close to Arunachal Pradesh border.
- This will be the second such route linking Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) with mainland China.
- Earlier Qinghai-Tibet railway line connected Lhasa to the hinterland.
- The railway line will largely improve the efficiency and convenience of China’s military personnel and material transportation and logistical supplies in the border area. Thus, China might be at an advantageous position.
- The fragile ecological environment along the project line, may have ecological concerns for India.