DRDO develops Fire Detection and Suppression System (FDSS)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Disaster Management
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a technology called ”Fire Detection and Suppression System (FDSS)” for passenger buses.
- FDSS technology can detect fire in buses in less than 30 seconds and extinguish it in 60 seconds thereby reducing the risk to life and property to a significant extent.
- Demonstrations were given on water mist-based FDSS for passenger compartment and aerosol-based FDSS for engine fire.
- The FDSS for passenger compartment comprises a water tank of 80 litre capacity, a 6.8 kg nitrogen cylinder pressurised to 200 bar installed at appropriate location in the bus.
- The FDSS for engine comprises an aerosol generator with which the fire suppression could be achieved within 5 seconds of the system activation.