Funds meant for Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme siphoned off
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Welfare schemes
- A recent investigation has found that the money meant for poor students under the Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme in Jharkhand has been siphoned off and is not reaching the students.
Important value additions
Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme
- It is a centrally funded scholarship scheme for students in all states.
- It opens every year and has to be applied between August and November.
- Aim: To help students of minority communities – Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Parsis, Jains and Buddhists having annual income below Rs. 1 lakh.
- Eligibility: Students need to score at least 50% in their class exams.
- It is given in two tiers every year: (1) Students in class 1 to 5: Rs. 1,000 per year; (2) Students of class 6 to 10: Rs. 10,700 if a hosteller or Rs 5,700 if a day scholar.