Religion in news: Sarna Religion
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Culture
- The Jharkhand government has passed a resolution to send the Centre a letter to recognise Sarna religion and include it as a separate code in the Census of 2021.
Important value additions
- The followers of Sarna faith believe in praying to nature.
- The motto of the faith is “Jal, Jungle, Zameen”.
- Its followers pray to the trees and hills while believing in protecting the forest areas.
Do you know?
- It is believed that 50 lakhs tribals in the entire country put their religion as ‘Sarna’ in the 2011 census, although it was not a code.
- Jharkhand has 32 tribal groups of which 8 are from Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups.