Various development projects to be inaugurated in Varanasi
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Ancient history & GS-II – Policies and interventions;
- Indian Prime Minister will inaugurate various development projects in Varanasi including Sarnath Light and Sound show.
Important value additions
- Sarnath is a place located 10 km north-east of Varanasi city near the confluence of the Ganges and the Varuna rivers in Uttar Pradesh, India.
- The Deer Park in Sarnath: Gautama Buddha first taught the Dharma and Buddhist Sangha came into existence through the enlightenment of Kondanna.
- It is also referred to as Isipatana.
- This city is mentioned by the Buddha as one of the four places of pilgrimage which his devout followers should visit.
- It was also the site of the Buddha’s Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, which was his first teaching after attaining enlightenment.
- Under this Sutta, he taught the four noble truths and the teachings associated with it.
Do you know?
- Singhpur, a village approximately 1km away from the site, was the birthplace of Shreyansanath, the Eleventh Tirthankara of Jainism.