100th Kisan Rail flagged off recently
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- Prime Minister flagged off the 100th Kisan Rail train, which shall ply between Devlali and Danapur.
- It has now been extended to run between Sangola to Muzaffarpur.
Important value additions
- The Kisan Rail train carries vegetables and fruits like grapes, oranges, pomegranate, etc.
- The loading and unloading of perishable commodities will be permitted at all en route stoppages and there is no minimum or maximum size of consignment.
- The government has extended a subsidy of 50% on transportation of fruits and vegetables.
- The multi-commodity train service has been popular as it also carries relatively small quantities of produce brought in by small, individual farmers.
- So far, the Kisan Rail has run regularly on 10 routes.
- One route — between Yeshvantpur and Delhi — exhausted its seasonal demand a while ago.
- Kisan Rail trains have ferried around 27,000 tonnes of produce so far, and half of the trips made so far were by trains running between Devlali in Maharashtra and Danapur in Bihar.