Bills proposing death penalty for rape approved by Maharashtra cabinet
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and Interventions
- In order to curb crimes against women and children in Maharashtra, the state cabinet approved two draft bills that propose death penalty for cases of rape, acid attack and child abuse.
- The two interconnected bills are the Maharashtra Shakti Criminal Law (Maharashtra Amendment) Act 2020 and the Special Court and Machinery for Implementation of Maharashtra Shakti Criminal Law 2020.
- These bills are part of Shakti Act.
- They seek to amend relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), Criminal Procedural Code (CrPC) and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
- The bills also have provisions to increase the quantum of punishment, including life term, cover new categories of crimes, and propose a mechanism for speedy trials.
- The media is not allowed to report the name of a rape victim.
- The proposed Acts will provide similar protection to victims of molestation and even acid attack.
- The draft bills propose to amend IPC Section 376 (rape) to increase the quantum of punishment to life term or death penalty in heinous cases where there’s adequate conclusive evidence or exemplary punishment is warranted.