Cabinet Approves Export of Akash Missile System
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III –Trade; Defence and Security
- Recently, Cabinet approved export of Akash Missile System.
- Under the Atma Nirbhar Bharat, India is growing in its capabilities of manufacturing wide variety of Defence platforms and missiles.
- Akash is country’s important missile with over 96% indigenisation.
- Akash is a Surface to Air Missile with a range of 25 Kms.
- The missile was inducted in 2014 in IAF and in 2015 in Indian Army
- A Committee is created for faster approval of exports.
- This Committee would authorise subsequent exports of major indigenous platforms to various countries.
- The Committee would also explore various available options including the Government-to-Government route.
- Government of India intends to focus on exporting high value defence platforms, to achieve target of 5 Billion USD of defence export and improve strategic relations with friendly foreign countries.
- The export version of Akash will be different from System currently deployed with Indian Armed Forces.