Digital Ocean web-based application inaugurated
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions & GS-III – Sci & tech
- Web-based application Digital Ocean was recently inaugurated
- Ministry: Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Developed by: INCOIS of Earth Sciences Ministry
- Digital Ocean is a first of its kind digital platform for Ocean Data Management.
- It includes a set of applications developed to organize and present heterogeneous oceanographic data by adopting rapid advancements in geospatial technology.
- It facilitates an online interactive web-based environment for data integration, 3D and 4D data visualization, data analysis to assess the evolution of oceanographic features, data fusion and multi-format download of different kinds of data from multiple sources.
- ‘Digital Ocean’ will help to share knowledge about the ocean with a wide range of users.
- It also provides free access to information to the general public and the common man.
- It will play a central role in sustainable management of our oceans and expanding our ‘Blue Economy’ initiatives.
- It will be promoted as a platform for capacity building on Ocean Data Management for all Indian Ocean Rim countries.