Draft Guidelines Of Technical Specifications Of Floating Structures
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has issued the draft guidelines for technical specifications of floating structures for public consultation, with a vision to deploy world-class floating infrastructure all along the coastline.
- Floating structure because of its inherent advantages, is attractive solution and is being encouraged by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways.
- Deployment of floating jetties, especially in locations having a large tidal range, where conventional quay poses problems during low tide periods, is very convenient.
- Floating jetties are cost-effective and much cheaper than conventional structures.
- Setting up of floating structures is much faster as compared to conventional jetties.
- Its environmental impact is minimal.
- Expansions are easily feasible due to modular construction techniques.
- It is easily transportable in case of reconfiguring of the port.
- It provides constant freeboard between jetties and boats.