India-Vietnam Talks held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, Defence Ministers of India and Vietnam discussed collaboration in defence industry capability building, training and cooperation in United Nations (UN) peacekeeping operations, etc.
- Both countries reaffirmed the strong India-Vietnam Defence cooperation which is a key pillar of Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (2016).
- India emphasised on closer defence industry cooperation by concluding an institutionalised framework agreement in the near future.
- Vietnam thanked India for the assistance by Indian Armed Forces in capacity building of Vietnamese Defence Forces especially in the field of Human Resource development.
- India is also willing to enhance the scope and level of training for all three services of Vietnam Defence forces in Indian Defence Institutes.
- The two nations Discussed cooperation in UN peacekeeping operations.
- They discussed cooperation in the field of Hydrography which will enable sharing of Hydrographic data and assist in production of navigational charts.
Do you know?
- Vietnam has also invited India for ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM Plus) being hosted by Vietnam in December 2020.
- The ADMM-Plus is a platform for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its eight Dialogue Partners – Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Russia and the USA – to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.