Indian Railways launches Hospital Management Information System (HMIS)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II –Health & GS-III – Infrastructure
- Recently, Indian Railways has launched The Hospital Management Information System (HMIS).
- It is another major IT initiative by Railways to prioritise the well-being of its work force.
- Developed by: Indian Railways in coordination with RailTel Corporation Limited.
- Objective: To provide a single window of clearance of hospital administration activity such as clinical, diagnostics, pharmacy, examinations, industrial health etc.
- Other objectives: (1) Effectively manage all the health facilities & its resources; (2) Monitor performance of hospitals across the administrative channel; (3) Impart quality health care services to its beneficiaries; (4) Improve the patient turn-around time; (5) Generate and maintain EMR (electronic medical records) of all patients
- Presently, 3 Modules of HMIS – Registration, OPD Doctor Desk & Pharmacy – shall be implemented.
- These shall be implemented on trial basis at Central Hospital, Lallaguda and will progressively be implemented across all Health Units over SCR.