Products Specific Warehouses/Silos to come up at Ports and National Waterways
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW) intends to create Product Specific Warehouses/Silos at various Ports (including both Major and Non-Major Ports), Multi Modal Logistics Parks located near Port area and alongside the National Waterways.
- It will enhance water-borne cargo volumes, reduce logistics cost and promote Ease of Doing Business.
- There is also a plan to create world-class Product Specific Agglomeration Centre on ‘Pay and Use Model’ which will immensely benefit the small traders and logistics players.
- The purpose of development of this infrastructure is to reduce the storage losses and facilitate distribution of cargo in the hinterland.
- The Silos will be for products such as Cement Silos, Liquid Tanks, Chemicals Tanks, Cold/RefrigeratedStorage, Electronics Product Storage or any other suggested products.
- The smaller players find it difficult to get their product specific storage silos at various locations.
- The development of these world-class warehousing spaces will give a big push with better planning and inventory management.
- The smaller players would have the option of paying nominal fees to make use of thisworld-classinfrastructure.
Do you know?
- The Ministry aims to reduce logistic cost with appropriate infrastructure interventions as a part of ambitious Sagarmala Programme.
- The Programme was launched n 2016.
- This is the flagship programme of the Ministry to promote port-led development in India by harnessing potential of India’s 7,500 Km long coastline and ~21000 km navigable waterways.