Agreement for the financial support to STARS Project signed between India and World Bank
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Education; International relations
- Agreement for the financial support of the implementation of Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States (STARS) project was signed between Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) and World Bank along with Ministry of Education.
Important value additions
- The proposal of STARS project was approved in October 2020.
- The Program envisions improving the overall monitoring and measurement activities in the Indian school education system through interventions in 6 States viz. Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Odisha.
- STARS project would be implemented as a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- Implementing Ministry/agency: Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education
- At the State level, the project will be implemented through the integrated State Implementation Society (SIS) for Samagra Shiksha.
Do you know?
- The total project cost of STARS project is Rs 5718 crore with the financial support of World Bank amounting to US $ 500 million.
- The proposed World Bank support under STARS is primarily in the form of a results-based financing instrument called Program for Results (PforR).
- A State Incentive Grant (SIG) will be used to encourage States to meet desired project outcomes.