INTERNATIONAL / SECURITY
Topic: General Studies 2:
- India and its neighbourhood
- Close cooperation between the two sides in combating the COVID-19 pandemic
- Early provision of vaccines to Nepal.
- Expansion of the Motihari-Amlekhganj petroleum products pipeline to Chitwan
- Establishment of a new pipeline on the eastern side connecting Siliguri to Jhapa in Nepal
- Upgraded first passenger railway line between India and Nepal from Jaynagar to Kurtha via Janakpur
- Cross-border rail connectivity projects, including a possible Raxaul-Kathmandu broad gauge railway line
- Joint hydropower projects, including the proposed Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project
- Nepal expressed support for India’s permanent membership of an expanded UN Security Council (UNSC) to reflect the changed balance of power.
- Need for facilitating cross-border movement of people and goods
- Recently inaugurated Integrated Check Posts (ICPs) at Birgunj and Biratnagar have helped in the seamless movement of people and trade between the two countries.
- Nepal relies on India’s seaports in a big way for trading, and goods are transported by road, the integrated check posts are expected to ease trade and transit.
- India’s support to two more cultural heritage projects in Nepal, namely, the Pashupatinath Riverfront Development and the Bhandarkhal Garden Restoration in Patan Durbar.
- India’s Nepal policy is heading very clearly towards deeper engagement with all sections.