Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi will dedicate the Kochi-Mangaluru Natural Gas Pipeline to the nation on January 5 at 11 am via video conferencing.
- The 450-km pipeline has been built by GAIL (India) Ltd
- It has transportation capacity of 12 million standard cubic metres per day
- It will carry natural gas from the liquefied natural gas (LNG) regassification terminal at Kochi to Mangaluru
- Laying of the pipeline was an engineering challenge as the route of the pipeline necessitated it to cross water bodies at more than 100 locations. This was done through a special technique called horizontal directional drilling method.
- The pipeline will supply environment friendly and affordable fuel to households, transportation sector and to commercial and industrial units across the districts along the pipeline.